Sunday 27 February 2011

I'm hired!




Today I had my first baking job at CC's cafe in Queen's Park. It took me three hours to get these two girls done. It's a good thing I took along some pastry I'd already made otherwise it would have taken a lot longer. I cooked in the cafe while the waitress nattered to me. At one point I had to make the lemon curd so I went into the professional kitchen next door where the real cooking is done for the restaurant. Wow! now I know that expression "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!" It's seriously hot in there. I included the last pic to show the potential of the place. It's done in a haphazard sort of way but has loads of potential to be something really special (I think).  I have decided to let it be a practise ground for me. I don't care what I get paid as she is providing me with a spring board to bake cakes, and build up a reputation as a baker.

This was a little test run for me and they've said they would like to give me more shifts. This is just the way I want to approach my baking. I'm given free reign to bake what I like and to do it at my own pace. What could be better? If I joined a slicker outfit I'd probably have to re-create the cakes and tarts they already sell and although that would probably present an interesting challenge, I prefer it this way. My cakes aren't intended to be "perfect" as that idea makes me feel very nervous and I would always feel that they're not "good enough". I hate that sort of pressure. This is more relaxed and I feel I can be myself. I am learning to be more precise in what I do but there always be a little flourish of creativity in what I do. When I was studying illustration at art college we were always encouraged to not worry about making mistakes and to make a virtue out of them. There will always be unfortunate blips in baking ie. things curdle, cakes don't rise, and soufles collapse but I guess you just have to learn how to cope... and improvise. Anyway, today went well and I have got my foot on the first rung of the baking ladder so I'm happy.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Wow - well done! It looks like a really nice place and I'd certainly have paid good money for a slice of that wonderful looking pavlova.

And I couldn't agree with you more about perfection - it has no place in home baking as far as I'm concerned.

Pleased to have stumbled upon your lovely blog.

Alex Myers said...

Thank you Ali. that's kind of you.

Anonymous said...

Well done Alex!! I have been lucky enough to taste both your lemon tart and your pavlova and they are sublime. Keep on baking baby!!
x Trisha

Anonymous said...

We love very much your paintings, and your cakes and the kitchen-aid too !!!!

I'm sure you will become a very great pastry-making !!

Big kisses.

Chris

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATION ALEX! i love the strawberry cake. yum yum yum