Thursday 18 August 2011

Watercolours













I've just come back to London after spending a few days in the South of France. It was a lovely break as I was able to combine a stay with friends in Provence with a quick trip to Corsica to see some friends there.  I can totally understand why artists love to be in the South of France. The light is so clear and bright and the colours are just breath taking. It's like being transported to another world where everything is warmer and brighter and you start to feel relaxed from the moment you arrive. Well, I suppose anywhere is better than England in the summer when it's raining and overcast.


I managed to squeeze my sketch book and watercolours into my tiny suitcase and got past the tyrannical staff at RyanAir without having to pay a penalty for being one or two kilos over. I wasn't quite so lucky on my return journey but I took great pleasure in denying them their fine of £40 by stuffing all my excess baggage into the pockets of my lovely capacious linen trousers. It's a shame that travelling is often so aggravating nowadays as the journey really ought to be part of the pleasure of going on holiday.


Anyway France was wonderful. I am a total Francophile and I adore all the little details of my time there. Whether it's shopping at the market and choosing from the delicious array of fruit and vegetables or trying the wonderful cheeses and charcuterie with a glass of delicious rose wine. It's all beautiful to me. I'm very lucky to have some great french friends who are enormously generous and invite me to hang out with them at their homes. It's great fun to feel part of a large french family for a short while and join in the planning of meals and little excursions. Of course I know we are all on holiday so life is simple but it is perfect and I love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vive la France. We are going soon. Any chance of you joing us?
Jersey Jane
xxx

Alex Myers said...

I wish! I've only just come back. Have a great time! xx

Anonymous said...

lovely