Tuesday 12 April 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On


Time and time again I have to remind myself to keep life simple. It is so easy to get caught up in other people's madness and each time it happens I get my fingers burnt. ouch!! I'm feeling a bit annoyed with the whole cafe business. It all went a bit pear shaped as the owner (who is a perfectly nice woman but a bit all over the place) invited me to bake cakes at the cafe but also asked another much more experienced cook to do the same. On my first day at the cafe I arrived to find the table heaving with several huge, lavish cakes made by the other woman... not only were they extraordinarily over the top but done in a totally different style to those previously made at the cafe. I was a bit stunned and disappointed. After a couple of days it was pretty obvious that there really wasn't room for both of us and I aired my feelings to the owner. She did have the good grace to apologise but it took the wind out of my sails and I think we both realised that there was no point in me continuing to work at the cafe.

So keep calm and carry on is the theme this week. Instead of dwelling on the frustration of the last few days at the cafe I want to focus on what I've learned from the experience. It really wasn't my fault. The cafe setup was fairly dysfunctional as the goal posts were constantly changing and that actually created a lot of anxiety for everyone concerned. I think it was an odd way of managing people but I couldn't control this situation so it was best to walk away. I have at least learned how to make a pretty nice cup cake and I can work a bit faster now. I know that everyone makes mistakes and I'm aware that no-one set out to be nasty - it just didn't work out. I also know that it's not a good idea to let people take advantage of my creativity and I know that when I got excited about re-designing the cafe it was because of my enthusiasm for the project. In reality, there was no budget to make it happen and once I realised this I pulled back to save myself from further disappointment. It's a shame but there it is.

Keeping calm saves one from investing too much time and energy into things that lead nowhere. It's a really hard thing to do as it's so natural to get excited and positive at the beginning of a project. The problems arise when you have to work with other people and they don't have the same level of commitment or have a completely different agenda. I am learning how to not dwell on difficulties and try and move on with insight as opposed to fear and loathing! Good thing I have yoga to help me with that... also I know that I am extremely lucky to be able to have the opportunity to try out new work situations. It's a challenge and also quite humbling to set out on something new. I don't expect to be the queen of pavlovas just yet...

4 comments:

Mutton said...

It is difficult to know what will lead somewhere and what won't, so I'm not sure it's possible to save one from potential disappointment. Keeping some distance is certainly healthy. Using the disappointing experience as a springboard to new projects or a source of insights is certainly also the way to go. I also think that we now are in an age where nothing is certain or stable so we need flexibility, multiple skills and careers.

Alex Myers said...

Good advice.. thanks x

Ali said...

I've had my fingers burned in exactly the same way. It's hard to be an enthusiastic, full of ideas person without getting pulled down by people who don't share your commitment. But there will be another opportunity along soon. You did the right thing - onwards and upwards!

Alex Myers said...

Lovely comment. thank you!