Friday 18 March 2011

Celebrating the beauty of older women


My friend Harriet Walter has published an inspiring book that celebrates the beauty of older women. I worked with Harriet in the early stages of the book and I used my research skills to help her when she was looking for images. She commissioned some beautiful portraits by a variety of photographers and the end result is a really lovely book. Harriet's idea for the book was to allow photographs to show the gains in depth, personality and individuality that older women have traded for the flawless glow of youth. My very talented  friend Micaela Scimone photographed her 85 year old Aunt Amelia in Sicily and this wonderful image was selected by Harriet for the front cover of the book.


It's always really thrilling to get anything into print and I am very delighted to have one of my photographs included in the book (see above). This photo is of a stylish lady called Daphne Selfe who, at the age of 82, is this country's oldest model. Her modelling career blossomed in older age as she promoted the benefits of going grey.

"My hair is my fortune, it made me more striking," she says, "I don't feel a day over 60. It's fantastic. I'll continue modelling until they stop asking. I love it. It's fun and keeps me young. I was never one for wild parties and I've never had any need to get drunk."

I love her attitude and wish everyone could be as positive about growing older and having fun like her. She seems to have a natural self confidence and I think it is this quality that comes across in her work. She's having a really good time and is happy to show it.

"Facing It" is an uplifting and moving collection of photographs and reflections on growing older. It's available from Amazon and also the National Theatre bookshop.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Love the pic of Michela's nonna.

x Trisha

Anonymous said...

Lovely :-))) sxxx

Anonymous said...

Well done Alex , looks like a gorgeous book ! Sophie xx